Wednesday 10 July 2013

Chicken Gyros - Ramadan Recipes | New Mehndi Designs - Advance Fashion Wears

Chicken Gyros - Ramadan Recipes | New Mehndi Designs - Advance Fashion Wears

Chicken Gyros – Ramadan Recipes

I think I was meant to be Greek. When I watched the movie “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” I couldn’t help but feel like I was watching my own family. A big family with strong religiousconvictions who love to eat. And my family is BIG. I am the youngest of 10 kids. I have 85 first cousins on my dad’s side alone. Oh, and the food. Sometimes when I am cooking for my family when I am in Arizona I feel like I am at a boarding house. Last time we were there John and I took over cooking breakfast one morning. After 6 dozen eggs we still had only fed half the crowd. As soon as you set the plate of food down it was gone.
Chicken Gyros - Ramadan Recipes

ingredients

  • 2 Kirby cucumbers, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt (3/4 pounds)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, divided
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced, divided
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
  • 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/4 cup chopped mint
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 rounded teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 rounded teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
  • 1 (12-ounces) package naan bread (four 8-inch pieces)
  • or 4 (8-inch) pocketless pita rounds
  • 1/2 roast chicken, skin discarded, meat shredded (about 2 1/4 cups), and carcass reserved for stock
  • 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced

preparation

Preheat broiler.
Peel and grate 1 cucumber, then squeeze it with your hands to remove excess water. Stir together with yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, one third of garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper to make tsatsiki.
Cut remaining cucumber into 1/4-inch pieces and stir together with tomatoes, onion, parsley, mint, remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper to make salsa.
Gently simmer oil, oregano, rosemary, remaining garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small heavy saucepan, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant but not browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Toss chicken with 3 tablespoons garlic oil and brush one side of bread with remainder.
Heat bread, oiled side up, in a 4-sided sheet pan, covered with foil, 3 to 4 inches from broiler 3 minutes. Uncover and broil, rotating bread for even coloring, until golden in spots, about 2 minutes.
Spread some of tsatsiki on warm bread and top with chicken and some of lettuce and salsa. Serve remaining lettuce, salsa, and tsatsiki on the side.


Read more: http://www.funpki.com/chicken-gyros-ramadan-recipes.html#ixzz2YdngyT00

No comments:

Post a Comment